Skyscraper

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Carrot and Coconut Muffin

I saw these carrot and coconut muffins on Ellie's blogKitchen Wench. This was something she made at midnight. I wasn't quite as dedicated to make them at midnight, but instead made them at about 10pm.

These muffins are extremely easy to make. The hardest part was actually grating all the carrot needed. I made a double batch of the mixture and got quite a workout on my arms after grating all the carrots.

What's the verdict on these muffins. Well, the flavour is fantastic. The carrots and coconut go really well together. The smell of the coconut from these muffins is divine. Texture wise, it's not too bad, although it could be a bit more moist. In Ellie's recipe, she uses some applesauce that she makes herself. I'm too lazy so instead went with vegetable oil.



Carrot & Coconut Muffins

Ingredients
280g all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
150g caster sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
200g finely grated carrot
100g desiccated coconut
2 medium-sized eggs
Zest & juice of 1 small lemon
1 tbsp honey
200mL vegetable oil

1. Prepare 12 muffin holes (or 12 muffin papers) and preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.

2. Sift the all-purpose flour with the baking powder, then stir in the caster sugar and cinnamon till evenly mixed together. Add the grated carrot and coconut and toss till combined, then make a well in the centre.

3. In a smaller bowl, beat together the eggs, lemon zest and lemon juice, honey and applesauce. Pour the wet mixture into the well of the dry and lightly mix together till just combined.

4. Bake the muffins for 30-40 minutes, or till the muffins are golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. You made a double batch?? No wonder your forearms hurt after all that grating! Incidentally, OXO goodgrips have a magnificent grater (I picked mine up at Myer in their kitchen goods department), its a 2-sided grater and its shape and design make grating a joy!

    Sorry to hear that the moisture content wasn't what you wanted, methinks you could just toss the carrot and coconut in the buttermilk muffin if you prefer the texture of that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellie, I might look into these OXO graters. I just have a normal grater and the bit I hate is when I end up grating my nails hahaha.

    I was thinking exactly the same thing, that I could put the carrot and coconut to the buttermilk muffin. I like the moistness of that and usually just make berry flavoured ones. But this combo of carrot and coconut really works.

    ReplyDelete