Skyscraper

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Vanilla Panna Cotta

So after getting my massive packet of vanilla beans from Duncan, I finally could make vanilla panna cotta, which I love.

As I've never made panna cotta before, I thought I would start with the simplest sounding recipe, which was the one from Donna Hay's Modern Classics 2 book. The panna cotta was extremely easy to make and was quite fast too. In terms of taste, it's good if you pair it up with fruit or something a bit sour to break up the ultra creamy flavour and texture. This panna cotta was a lot creamier than ones I've tasetd in restaurants. As much as I love cream, even a small ramekin panna cotta is too much. I need to find a recipe with a version that's slightly less creamy.




Vanilla Panna Cotta
From Donna Hay's Modern Classics 2

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup water
3 1/2 tsp powdered gelatine
3 1/4 cups single (~18% fat) cream
3/4 cup icing sugar, sifted
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped

METHOD
1. Place water in bowl and sprinkle in gelatine. Set aside for 5 minutes.

2. Place cream, icing sugar and vanilla beain in a saucepan over medium-low heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add the gelatine mixture and cook, stirring for two minutes. Remove the vanilla bean.

3. Pour the mixture into moulds and refrigerate for 4-6 hours to set.

4. To serve, cut around edge of panna cotta and invert onto plate. Serve with berries or fruits.

No comments:

Post a Comment