Skyscraper

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Strawberry Muffins

So what do you do with the sweetest strawberries you have ever tasted, well for me, I first eat through a punnet, then I decide to make strawberry muffins. These strawberries were as sweet, if not sweeter than the ones that I have picked a few times from farms. Hence I put a bit less sugar into the mixture.



Strawberry Muffins

125g butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar (I used slightly less than 1/2 a cup)
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup milk
1 punnet (250g) strawberries

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the sifted flour and milk. Spoon into a 12-cup muffin tin, lined with paper cases. I then pushed the strawberry pieces in so that each muffin has a good amount of strawberries. Bake at 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of a cake comes out clean.



The muffins come out nice and smooth and you can definitely taste the strawberries. Very easy to make and I will definitely make it again with other fresh fruits.

4 comments:

  1. These look so dainty and yummy. Sounds like a good muffin recipe and those strawberries look luscious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truffle, I'm not kidding when I say these were some of the sweetest strawberries I've tasted. And when you hear that I bought them at Safeway, that will be even more surprising right?

    The local Safeway has been refurbished and recently reopened. These strawberries were on sale for $2 a punnet, which is pretty cheap considering I then went to Coles and saw their punnets (slightly larger at 375g rather than 250g) selling for $6.78. Hence I bought 5 punnets from Safeway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohhh, they look GOOD. I just became the proud owner of Steph Alexander's Cooks Companion book. There's a fabulous recipe in there for basic muffin mix. I think some fresh strawberries would be just the thing. You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anna, I'm going to start buying cook books too, in particular dessert books. Currently, I usually scour the web for recipes and then use my imagination to think how they would taste by looking at the ingredients. Then I decide to make them or not, usually with my own twist to them, such as the strawberry muffins. They were originally passionfruit muffins and were too dry so I added more egg and milk and strawberries.

    Having a good cook book is ideal since you know that all the recipes in that book are good because you can trust that chef. Then whenever you feel like making anything, you can just flick through the book and find something.

    Glad I could be of inspiration. Strawberries are very nice at the moment so why not use them to make lots of things. I'm thinking of trying a strawberry mousse, strawberry cheesecake, strawberry tarts. I'll see if I'm enthusiatic enough to make any.

    ReplyDelete