Flavour and texture wise, this pandan kaya lamington creation is amazing if I say so myself. Everyone who I gave it to loved it so much I've re-made this a few times already. It's a very moreish cake and I find myself continually eating it.
You can eat the cake by itself or serve it with some simple vanilla ice cream, which makes it even more amazing.
* Beat the eggs for the sponge for as long as you can before you get tired of waiting (about 15 minutes I found). It will really help to stabilise the sponge if the egg mixture is thick and fluffy.
* The sponge is very fragile so take care cutting it. Make sure you line the tin really well or it won't come out and will break apart.
* Stir the pandan fudge mixture until the custard powder is dissolved before heating it on the stove. Else you will get big lumps.
* When working with the pandan fudge, it's easier to work with it whilst it is hot but you may burn your fingers so be careful.
* Use a small butter knife to carefully spread the pandan fudge onto the lamgintons.
PANDA KAYA LAMINGTON
I used the CWA recipe.
3/4 cup castor sugar
1 3/4 cup self raising Flour
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1) Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla, add eggs one at a time. Add flour alternatively with milk.
2) Pour mix into a greased lamington slab tin, 24cm by 30cm, and bake in a moderate oven for about 30 minutes. I found about 180C in my fan forced oven worked well.
3) After it's thoroughly cooled cut into 6cm square pieces. Wrap cake in foil and put in the fridge while you make the fudge.
PANDAN FUDGE ICING
I used my usual pandan fudge icing
600g coconut milk
80g caster sugar
20g custard powder
1/2 tsp pandan paste or more to taste
Dessicated coconut to decorate
1) Mix all ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat.
2) Stir till it thickens.
1 jar of kaya jam
1 bag of dessicated coconut
20 pieces of 6cm square sponge
1 serve of pandan fudge icing
1) Pour the whole bag of dessicated coconut into a big tray read to be used.
2) Take a piece of sponge cake and spread it thickly with a kaya jam. I just use a store bought one but you can make it yourself if you wish. Put another piece on top of the first sponge, creating a sandwich of sponge with the kaya in between.
3) Using a small butter knife, spread the pandan fudge all over the sponge sandwich.
4) Place the pandan iced sponge into the tray of dessicated coconut and cover liberally with coconut.
5) Place the finished lamington onto some baking paper to let it cool before serving.