Skyscraper

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Hazelnut Scrolls

I saw these Hazelnut Scrolls at Smell & Taste Are My Memory. Jin said they are really tasty and easy to make, so I decided to give them a try as I was looking for something quick to make.

When I started to read through the recipe, I was starting to doubt how easy they were. They required rolling of dough and spreading hazelnut onto dough, which I didn't think would be easy to do as the dough might break. I needn't have worried. It turn out it was very easy to do and the results look and taste great. This recipe is so easy and cheap to make. Taste wise, I like it. I wouldn't say it's the most spectacular tasting biscuit, but my work mates really enjoyed them as they said it wasn't too sweet and they went well with coffee.



Hazelnut Scrolls

INGREDIENTS

2 cups plain flour
½ cup dry dessicated coconut
100 g butter (cubed)
½ cup caster sugar
1 egg (lightly beaten)
2 tbsp iced water
chocolate hazelnut spread (Nutella)
some extra dry dessicated coconut

METHOD
1. Very lightly brown the 50 g dessicated coconut in a pan.

2. Place the dessicated coconut and flour in food processor bowl; add butter and sugar. Using the pulse action, press button for 30 seconds or until mixture is fine and crumbly. If you don't have a food processor, I melted the butter a bit more and used a electric hand whisk.

3. Add egg and 2 tbsp water; process a further 20 seconds until mixture forms a dough. Again, if you don't have a food processor, an electric hand whisk is fine, using your hands for the final stages to bring the dough together.

4. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 30 seconds or until smooth.
Roll pastry out on a large sheet of baking paper, to a rectangle. Trim any uneven edges.

5. Spread dough with an even layer of hazelnut spread. Sprinkle dessicated coconut all over the hazelnut spread.

6. Using paper to lift dough, roll up from the long side in Swiss roll style. Wrap tightly in cling wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

7. Using a very sharp knife, cut dough into 1 cm slices. Place it on biscuit trays with baking paper.

8. Bake at 180°C (350°F - gas mark 4) for 15 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.

7 comments:

  1. It's a great mystery where all these foods go when you make them.

    No one has seen and tried them. Perhaps it has something to do with the increase of your farts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oblivion, most of the food gets distributed so more people can enjoy.

    You may not have tried all of them, but in this particular case, I offered you some of these biscuits when you visited and you declined them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll find that your friend at 'Smell & Taste Are My Memory' may have stolen this recipe from her Mum who probably found it in the 1974 edition of womens weekly. There is really nothing new, exiting or worthwhile repeating when it comes to a cake like this!!!

    Wake me up when you post something worth reading on this shitty web-site

    *snore*

    *yawn*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous Chef, hahaha I'm so happy that you're my biggest blog fan who hangs on every single word I write and checks this blog three to four times a day. Thank you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanh!!!

    Don't flatter yourself Ricky Wong, I read your blog merely to laugh at the dribble that you publish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then I hope you continue laughing as I will be publishing more things regularly.

    Wegards,
    Wicky Rong

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent !!!

    I look forward to the next installment of nonsensical garbage!!!

    ReplyDelete