Skyscraper

Monday, December 28, 2009

Madame Sousou - Part 2


231 Brunswick St
Fitzroy 3065 VIC
Ph: (03) 9417 0400


When I got wind of a work dinner, even though I wasn't part of the team being rewarded, I asked to come along and use my entertainment card and make up the difference. Everyone agreed and put me in charge of selecting the location. After much discussion (this location was no good for some, this time was no good for others, I don't like Japanese, I don't like Greek) I finally found a place that everyone agreed to. Madame Sousou's do good French food as I found out from my last visit.

The interior is always intriguing, from the painting of naked ladies on the wall to the Poker card stuck up on the ceiling with it's own story. The restaurant is intimate and with the booth leather seating along one side, has a really warm feel.

At the last minute, Hien couldn't come to the dinner, so we all graciously had to use up her part of the allotted money and hence got entrees as well. Thanks Hien, my stomach thanks you for the terrine.

Oysters served natural was down Ross' throat before our entrees arrived. Others went for the Salt and Pepper Calamari, the Ocean Trout Gravalax and I went for the Chicken Terrine. The terrine was beautifully made with contrasting textures and flavours, served with some tangy pickled vegetables, which I love. Others gave their entrees the two thumbs up.






In between courses, TK kept me entertained all night with quizzes, jokes, anecdotes and his impression of Matt Preston with the cravat and the wine. No, I didn't let him drink the wine, how irresponsible do you think I am. No. Don't answer that. He managed to wear my cold affected body well and truly out with his energy, I feel for you Davina and Ross.


Davina went for the Swordfish, which she said was very tender and perfectly cooked.


Trung went for the hearty T-Bone steak, which was my initial choice. I should have stuck with it, as it's meaty juiciness was making me salivate all night.


Joe and Morena went for the Eye Fillet Steak with Hollandaise Sauce. Look how nice it was with those crunchy potatos.


Esther went with the Chicken wrapped in prosciutto and hearty vegetables. Again, looks yum right? She thought it was.


Now, so what did Lydia, Ross and myself get swayed by the waiter into ordering? Well, here was the waiters description of it, "Fresh yabbies imported over from WA today, freshly prepared by our chef with a mango salsa." That had me thinking of grilled yabbies over a bed of vegetables and conjured images of hot summer days spent in mud holes fishing for yabbies with a string and a piece of meat on the end of it. Then when we got our haul, we boiled all those suckers in a large pot and ate our way through it. What's the restaurant equivalent? Six limp yabbies, boiled, and place over rocket leaves. The flesh of the yabbies was terrible and they were stone cold. Six small yabbies may fill up a supermodel, but any normal person can not get full on it. It would have been ok as an entree, but not a mains. It was totally mis-described to us, and we had to order sides of potatos and fill up on that.


So I wasn't in the best of moods after the mains, but all was forgiven when desserts came out. Davina went for the Chocolate Mousse, which she kindly let me try. It was indeed a great dessert, with layers of mousse alternating with coffee creams. However, the rest of the table made the correct decision in choosing the Chocolate Fondant with Armagnac and Prune Ice Cream. The oozy centes of the fondants were so decadently addictive. It wasn't too bitter and I just kept going back for more. I loved the ice cream too, the Armagnac shining through. Even TK gave this chocolate dessert two thumbs up.




Service was serviceable. The waiter was slightly abrupt but otherwise everything went smoothly. The ambience stayed a nice buzz all night and it is really a comfortable setting. Besides the Yabbie issue, food here is still as good as I remember it.

Overall Rating: 15/20, Very good French food in a comfortable setting.

Scores: 1-9: Unacceptable, don't bother. 10-11: Just OK,some shortcomings. 12: Fair. 13: Getting there. 14: Recommended. 15: Good. 16: Really good. 17: Truly excellent. 18: An outstanding experience. 19-20:Approaching perfection, Victoria's best.

Madame Sousou on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I've only had brunch at Madam Sousou and it wasn't all that impressive though that souffle looks really good!!!

    ReplyDelete