Skyscraper

Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Old Kingdom - Surrey Hills

683 Canterbury Road
Surrey Hills, VIC 3127
Ph: 9898 3343


You mention Peking Duck in Melbourne, and inevitably talk will turn to Simon's Peiking Duck. I really love Simon's ducks but not everything at Simon's is the best. And also, if you don't like an oily duck, you may actually not prefer Simon's. If you are looking for an alternative to Simon's, I would suggest the newly relocated Old Kingdom.

Old Kingdom used to be where Simon "Duck Nazi" Lau worked before he left and started his own restaurant. It used to be a dark crowded restaurant, but is now a light, modern, clean, comfortable place. The restaurant does not have the usual Asian feel and instead is minimal in decorations, opting for a light decor. Tables are spaced quite far apart so you can have some space. While the decor is not typical of other Asian restaurants, the menu is similar. Their Peking Duck is their speciality, and cost wise is the same as the other restaurants. You can choose between just the duck or also with the accompanying noodles and soup. We chose the full three courses.


The duck here has a really great flavour and I would rate it just marginally below Simon's. The flavour is excellent and skin is crispy. While Simon's duck skins are crispy, which I prefer, his ducks are also oiler. The duck here is less fatty and oily, which some people prefer. The pancakes here are of the flour variety, thin and soft. Again, some people may prefer this over Simon's eggy pancake.


For me, the items where Old Kingdom are far superior to Simon's is the sauce for the duck, the noodles and the soup. The sauce is this fragrant plum/hoisin mixture with a hint of chili. It is fantastic and really lifts the whole Peking Duck. The noodles are also really bouncy, light and fresh. The soup is clear and full of duck flavour instead of being cloudy and muddled in flavour.


I realised that I haven't posted as many photos of myself and my friends lately. So I've decided to change this and get back to what this blog was about, talking about my life and all the people in it, with food mixed in between.


Service at Old Kingdom is quite good, and I like the ambiance there. I prefer the roomier cleaner feel of restaurants. I would definitely recommending trying out Old Kingdom and I would happily come back here for Peking Duck. It's a worthy alternative to Simon's Peiking Duck.

Overall Rating: 15/20, Great Peking Duck in a comfortable environment.

Scores: 1-9: Unacceptable, don't bother. 10-11: Just OK,some shortcomings. 12: Fair. 13: Getting there. 14: Recommended. 15: Good. 16: Really good. 17: Truly excellent. 18: An outstanding experience. 19-20:Approaching perfection, Victoria's best.
Old Kingdom on Urbanspoon

11 comments:

  1. aish, if you drive me here. i might go. otherwise, it's really far away T_________________________T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this! I've been meaning to go to Simon's for a while now, however I think I like the sound of Old Kingdom more! Your photos really capture the food well :) I love the photo of the duck! Look at that skin! Mmmm. I love the photo of you and your friends, too! They all look so happy :) How lovely to have a group shot like that - I wish my friends enjoyed dining out like I do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA!

    I grew up around the corner from there and noticed it was Old Kingdom the other day... now I'm thinking I should actually go... good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at oyu so happy form Peking Duck! I need to get myself there soon. And why are you holding your dude friends hand?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I've been here when it was dark...it's so weird seeing it so bright! Least you get good photos then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, we can organise to go there one day. I'll get Agnes to drive you :-)

    Thank Bianca. It is good to have friends who like eating out as much as well.

    Merowyn, go check it out. It's delicious, and not expensive.

    I-Hua, I am happy from Peking Duck. Kevin was trying to pinch me and I had to stop him lah.

    Ashley, the old location was so dark you couldn't see anything. This is a welcome change, for photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. gosh there was a time when i kept going back to old kingdom cause i loved it so much and i cant agree with you more abt the sauce. one time, they actually gave us 4 big bags with 12 whole duck bones to bring back, how nice!! havent been there myself, but wouldnt mind going to simon's for a change after reading this. thanks! =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Winston, that sauce is divine. I love it when they let you take the duck bones home. Make such good soups out of it.

    Give both a try. Simon's is most people's favourite but Old Kingdom is different to Simon's and better in some aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must try Old Kingdom... but I hope you're currently eating Peking duck in Beijing. Eat up, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, we went to Old Kingdom and it was exactly as you said. The duck was delish and not oily at all. Pancake was so light my kids just loved it! Only catch is the place only accepts CASH! No eftpos machine so be warned! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anonymous, thank you for that warning and glad you liked the restaurant.

    ReplyDelete