Skyscraper

Monday, November 26, 2007

Semifreddo

A newly acquired blogger friend, Vida, had posted a recipe for semifreddo just for me after she read how I loved eating it. This recipe is good because it doesn't require an ice cream machine, of which I don't have and don't plan on buying.

The semifreddo is actually a Pistachio and Raspberry Semifreddo, but obviously it can be adapted and you can add anything you like.

So what's my verdict. Well, I love the semifreddo part. It's so smooth and deliciously rich. It's also very easy to make. I think the combination of pistachio and raspberries is quite good. I made the fatal mistake of thinking more is better and added way too much raspberries. This made some parts really sour and also hard as ice. The water content in the raspberries turn into ice and it's not nice at all. In future, I'm going to make this with pistachios and maybe dried figs. The honey flavour and rose water should go great with the figs.

This dessert is definitely one I will make again. It's very easy and you can make any flavours you like and serve with a million things. Serve with boiled fruit, a biscotti, fresh fruits, cakes, anything bascially. Thanks Vida for the recipe. I love it.


Pistachio, Rasberry and Rosewater Semifreddo

6 egg yolks
3 tablespoons honey
1 cup whipped cream
2 teaspoons rosewater
200 gm raspberries
3 tablespoons shelled pistachio nuts, chopped

Any other combination of flavours can be used instead of the raspberries and pistachios.

Beat the egg yolks and honey together with an electric mixer for about 10 minutes or until thick, pale, creamy and doubled in volume. Lightly fold in the whipped cream and rosewater.

Line the base and sides of a 1 litre loaf tin with plastic wrap, leaving the sides overlapping so you can use it cover and also lift the semifreddo out.

Freeze for 1-2 hours, or until partially frozen, then remove from freezer and stir through the raspberries and pistachios. Recover with the plastic wrap and return to the freezer until completely frozen.

Before serving leave it to soften in the fridge for about 15 or 20 minutes. Slice and serve with extra raspberries.

6 comments:

  1. Thanh, do you remember that I suggested you break up the raspberries???? I also told you you had to leave it out for awhile to soften, this part was because of the raspberries being so firm when frozen, YOU are a naughty boy who CANNOT take instruction!!! There will be punishment!! Vida x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Honour, I object. I did take out the raspberries and let them fully soften. However, I think I should have left them in a strainer to drain out all the water.

    Maybe a few raspberries would work better but I put in way too much. I like the semifreddo as it is anyway. I think with just the nuts it would taste even better.

    A good find, more simple effective recipes like this Vida.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I won't hang you this time, your life is spared!! What about some chopped up honeycombe to go with the honey and maybe macadamias?? Or some glace fruit, that would look very regal for xmas, or some chocolate chips and maybe peppermind oil instead of the rosewater?... really the possibilities are endless... Vida x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sparing my life Judge Vida. I'm thinking the same as you. Stuff like honeycomb and macadamias would work great. The one I had at the restaurant was nougat, which worked great too. I must try out more combos and see how they go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, semi freddo. Too rich for everyday consumption for me, but great for a sinful mouthful on a special occasion! I love those red raspberry stains in there :)

    Ellie @ Kitchen Wench

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellie, it is extremely rich. You can definitely feel the creamy texture in your mouth. I have one small slice each time and there's still quite a bit left in the fridge.

    The raspberries look really good, but I put way too many and the sourness in some parts is quite strong. I must try other combinations next time.

    ReplyDelete