Skyscraper

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Vue de Monde - Part 3, Still Perfect

430 Little Collins St
Melbourne, 3000
Ph: 96913888
Website: Vue de Monde


I love Vue de Monde. I think the previous sentence best encapsulates my feelings towards dining at what I believe is still Melbourne's premier restaurant. I've had the pleasure of dining at Vue de Monde twice before, and each experience is still ingrained strongly in my mind. Not every dish of food may be mind blowing perfect, but the overall experience transcends the food. For one night, dining at Vue de Monde makes me feel like a king. Some may think that it's pretentious, and I would agree. But what's wrong with feeling important for one night. It's not often that you get to feel so important, so I thoroughly enjoy it.

My most recent visit at Vue de Monde was yet another perfect night. Some dishes are so amazingly delicious, such as the Marron with Radish, with the contrasting textures of radish just truly spellbinding. The Duck with Potato, again dazzled me with the different textures of potato combining perfectly with the duck. There was one dish that didn't work for me, which was the Venison with Chocolate, where the venison alone was tasty but didn't combine well with the chocolate. This did not diminish the experience at the least since I was enjoying myself so much.

Service here, as I keep saying, is just spot on perfect, with the right level of attention and friendliness whilst still being professional and not crowding you. And on the topic of space, the tables are positioned so perfectly in the stunningly decorated space such that I still got all the ambiance from the other diners but felt like I was on an island. This enabled me to feel all the other excited diners while still fully concentrating on my riveting conversation with my dining companion. We were so carefree in our discussions as it didn't feel like anyone else in the room could hear us, yet did not feel isolated or uncomfortable. I was fortunate enough to be seated directly in front of the kitchen and mirror and it was just an orgy for the senses. I got to see what the chefs were making with meticulous precision, smell the amazing aromas from the plethora of dishes, hear the sounds of the food being cooked and finally taste the creations that were being assembled before me. If possible, I would recommend asking for that table directly in front of the kitchen as it's a better view than the chef's table I think, without the imposition of having to order the gourmand meal.

So I will wrap my latest Vue de Monde meal with photos of the dishes I sampled that night. The meals are on a constant rotation so you never know what wonders awaits. I cannot wait till I go back again, hopefully before they move out of the current premise. It may get a lost costlier to dine at Vue de Monde in future, but I shall try to return as it's a perfect dining experience.



Above: Stunning room with the perfect level of class, lighting and ambiance.
Left, Right: Exquisite cutlery and glassware.



Above: Great birds eye view of the chefs working.




Above: Heidi Garden Salad.
Left, Right: Amuse Bouche, Salmon Eggs.




Above: Marron and Radish.
Left, Right: Venison and Chocolate, Celery Plate Cleanser.




Above: Duck and Potato.
Left, Right: Waygu Cheeks and Potato, Lemonade Fizzers.




Above: Rhubarb and Cream.
Left, Right: Cheese, Chocolate Souffle.




Above: Candy Cigarettes.
Left, Right: Marshmallows, Meringues.

Overall Rating: 20/20, A dining experience so perfect it transcends the food.

Scores: 1-9: Unacceptable, don't bother. 10-11: Just OK,some shortcomings. 12: Fair. 13: Getting there. 14: Recommended. 15: Good. 16: Really good. 17: Truly excellent. 18: An outstanding experience. 19-20:Approaching perfection, Victoria's best.

Vue De Monde on Urbanspoon

17 comments:

  1. i must try one day. 20/20, wow that's a big call :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must try it out one day Simon. It is a big call. I've only ever given out 2 perfect scores, and both have gone to Vue de Monde. I just think it's the complete dining experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omGOMGOMGOMGOMG 20/20?!?!?!?!

    OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGOMGOMGOMG

    ReplyDelete
  4. i swear i need more words to fully appreciate this post =P.
    i neeD more WORDS i say!!!!
    you're leaving us all HANGING

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allan, sometimes less is more. Read my previous two posts if you want more words. I wrote enough for essays on those posts. This one merely captures the mood of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha that would be smart now wouldnt it =P...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, that would be smart. Although I'd recommend not reading it at night as it will make you want to eat so badly. The food is just divine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been there 10 times to date. And I have to agree that vue de monde does makes you feel like a queen/princess. :)

    However, I don't think I will be visiting there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle, oh wow. I thought 3 times was a lot. How come you went there so much? Do you love it so much? And how come you're not going back soon? Surely it's time for another visit?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know. Just feel like I should stop for a while. Too much of a good thing can turn bad, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://ganchau.blogspot.com12/13/2010 11:32 AM

    Wow! Thanh! A very well written
    feedback. You have improved so much in your written English! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! The food just looks soo delicious! :) I've never had the opportunity to dine at Vue De Monde yet, although my parents are personally not fans.

    I love the candy cigarettes, what a novel idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh. My. Heavens. How is it even fair that such food exists and I can't try it? :P Love the candy cigarette dish - hello novelty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Michelle, totally understand. For a while I was dining out at expensive places 2-3 times a week and it was getting too much for the wallet and my stomach.

    Choo, thank you so much. How have you been lately?

    Ashely, I say go and try it out before they move. I think it's the best place in Melbourne. It is definitely expensive but worth it to go once at least.

    Hannah, aren't you coming down to Melbourne soon? You can add Vue de Monde to your list of must eat at places.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okok....I shall check this place out then. And make sure you try RMH... it is magical. ephipl

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the Candy Cigarettes - in the olden days that was on the boss's table at the back of the restaurant...brimming.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Penny, I shall try to make my way to RMH for sure.

    Ken, that is very true, but times are changing and all the risks of smoking are known, so why not smoke candy cigarettes instead.

    ReplyDelete