Skyscraper

Monday, February 21, 2011

Bistro Vue

430 Little Collins St
Melbourne, VIC 3000
Ph: 9691 3838
Website: Bistro Vue


I'm a big fan of Vue de Monde, which means that I'm also intrigued by its offshoot restaurants. My friend raved about how great his Bistro Vue meal was and that he thought it was his favourite meal last year. How could I not go and try it for myself.

The restaurant is located in the same premise as Vue de Monde, sitting at the back end. The room is a very warm and inviting space, with a rustic, yet sophisticated Parisian feel. We were seated at a table near the kitchen. Usually, you would feel quite isolated at the corner of a room, but it actually felt cosy and private.


The menu is quite simple and printed on a small postcard size pamphlet. We each decided to drink some beer while we ordered an entree and mains each. My entree of Garlic Snails was beautifully presented of all snails I've had anywhere. I loved the flavour, with an extra hint of something that made it stand out from numerous other garlic snails elsewhere. With both of us being huge fans of smoked salmon, the House Smoke Salmon was slightly less than what we expected. It was still good, served with a mousee and various condiments, but it lacked a more smokey punch. I actually prefer Regal Smoked Salmon more.



For mains, I got the Confit Duck. Again, this is a simple dish that is served in bistros around Paris. This confit duck was excellent, with great flavours and not too dry. The potato crisps and salad really accentuated the duck. The Truffle Pasta was excellent too. The flavour of the truffle really make the dish so fragrant, blending perfectly with mushrooms and the al dente pasta. The only complaint was that the serving size was a bit small. Sides of Beetroot Salad and Green Beans were elegantly simple and perfect.



The Creme Brulee was good, although the sugar topping was a bit too thick. The Chocolate Fondant was sensational. The centre was perfectly oozy. The problem with many a chocolate fondant is that to keep the centre molten, it's usually way undercooked so it still tastes a bit raw. This had the perfect ratio of cooked exterior to molten (not runny) interior. The biscuit and almond ice cream really enhance this simple dish into something very elegant.



The service here is good, although nowhere near the excellence of Vue de Monde. The staff are knowledgeable and efficient. The ambiance in the room during a lunch service is very relaxed, with a nice feel to it. I think the whole experience in Bistro Vue can be summarised as simplistic elegance. Simple dishes are made a bit more special by being done well and adding small touches of difference here and there. Although I think the food is really good, the pricing is a bit expensive and I would choose other establishments for a more exciting meal. However, if I wanted to eat some classic French bistro food and be assured of consistency and quality, I would come back to Bistro Vue.

Overall Rating: 14/20, Great classic French bistro food, a tad expensive.

Scores: 1-9: Unacceptable, don't bother. 10-11: Just OK,some shortcomings. 12: Fair. 13: Getting there. 14: Recommended. 15: Good. 16: Really good. 17: Truly excellent. 18: An outstanding experience. 19-20:Approaching perfection, Victoria's best.

My other Vue de Monde posts:
Vue de Monde
Vue de Monde - Part 2
Vue de Monde - Part 3
Cafe Vue Cocktail Night
Cafe Vue 401

Bistro Vue on Urbanspoon

8 comments:

  1. It's weird how I never actually dined at Bistro Vue before but always dine at VdM and Cafe Vue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Photos are just gorgeous! :) Love how that truffle pasta sounds...I've gone to a couple of the cafe vue's, but never been to either bistro or vue de monte. Maybe I'll make my next visit to bistro and slowly work my way up... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are fabulous as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, as you can see, the food is good, so give it a try.

    Ashley, thank you for that compliment. You have the inverse problem of Michelle. I suggest you fix that problem quickly :-) The bistro is a good start.

    Quay, thank you, love photography.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like Bistro Vue, we loved the food and the atmosphere was wonderful. I want their gorgeous chairs! I must try the fondant next time.
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi, their decor is pretty nice isn't it. If you go back, give the fondant a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There seems to be an issue with Bistro Vue...consistency. I've had a mixed bag of visits just like you, but I keep going back...I just cant help myself.

    The snails were good huh??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maria, there has been mixed reviews on Bistro Vue. It's surprising seeing as Vue de Monde is so consistent. I loved the snails, really delicious.

    ReplyDelete