Skyscraper

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Moroccan Soup Bar

183 St Georges Rd
Fitzroy North, VIC 3068
Ph: 9482 4240


I thank this humble food blog for many things. It's been an excellent outlet for my food writing as I really enjoying writing and talking about food. I've also improved my photography skills as I constantly strive to take better photos for this blog. I've met so many wonderful people through this food blog, as well as trying out the exciting food suggestions that other food bloggers write about. I've also been able to experience all aspects of the food industry due to this blog. People can have whatever opinions they want about accepting food invites but I find that I tend to accept invites as it usually leads to something new and good. The Steer Boot Camp experience was one such thing. From that, I learned about how hard a commercial kitchen is and how passionate and hard working chefs are. I also had the pleasure to become good friends with a number of the chefs there. One of them, Bruno, I consider a good friend now. We really get along well and I met up with him and Sarah for a dinner at Moroccan Soup Bar. It was his suggestion to eat there and I'm so glad I got to try it as I normally would not go due to my dislike of vegetarian food.

Bruno told me that Moroccan Soup Bar was started by a migrant woman, who used the restaurant as a way of employing and giving opportunities to other migrants in need of a job. It's a great story and even better still, the story is backed up by wonderful flavoursome vegetarian food. While I was there that night, the small restaurant was packed the whole time and with a steady stream of people coming in for takeaway food. The aspect I loved was that in keeping with the whole ethos of the restaurant, everyone brought their own containers to pick up the food. Brilliant.


There's no menu at the restaurant and you ask the waiters what's available. We went for the banquet meal, which at a mere $18 per person was exceptional value. The banquet for the 4 of us consisted of some tasty dips to start, 5 different mains, desserts of pastries and tea or coffee.


The dips were some of the best I've had and I had to stop myself from over-eating them with the pita bread. Mains consisted of a variety of stewed vegetables, rice dishes and this super chickpea bake dish. The chickpea bake has toasted pita bread pieces, almonds ,chickpeas all topped with yoghurt, so simple but so addictively good.



The desserts of baklava were not as good as my favourite from El-Fayha, but was still surprisingly good, better than most places. The desserts were finished off with some tea or coffee, a perfect ending.


I love this restaurant, with it's vibrant coloured walls and equally vibrant vegetarian food. The price is excellent value and you will be so full at the end. My only gripe is that the restaurant is so busy that you only get to sit for a 2 hour session. But that is a small gripe for such a great place.

Overall Rating: 16/20, Great vegetarian food at excellent prices.
Scores: 1-9: Unacceptable, don't bother. 10-11: Just OK,some shortcomings. 12: Fair. 13: Getting there. 14: Recommended. 15: Good. 16: Really good. 17: Truly excellent. 18: An outstanding experience. 19-20:Approaching perfection, Victoria's best.

Moroccan Soup Bar on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

  1. Invitations are really controversial. Ever since that incident that happened with iron lady chef, and the amount of food blog politics that goes around, I dare not receive any invitations as tempting as they may be.

    Still, you have a point. You can learn something and meet new people

    ReplyDelete
  2. The serves of the food look so hearty! I like how colourful they are :) I really admire a place that can do good vegetarian food, because it's a lot more work to be creative with it! Kinda fun there's no menu too!

    Fortunately in a way I don't think I'm 'cool' enough to receive food invites and the what not, haha! But I feel very similar the way you do about my blog. I've been relishing lately in particular typing up blog posts in silence at 11:30pm right before bed... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those dips lookd delicious! Vegetarian? Oooo.. I wish I got food invites to dine with chefs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. $18 for a banquet is a bargain!! food looks delicious too

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't quite sure what your little spiel re invitations had to do with your post ...

    Perhaps you'd care to elaborate?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashley, I'm sure you're more than cool enough. Keep doing what you enjoy.

    Anonymous, I met Bruno, the junior sous chef at Steer from an invite. I think of him as a really good friend now so hence I was saying I like to accept invites and see what things can result from it.

    ReplyDelete