Skyscraper

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Omah's Malaysian - Port Melbourne

138 Rouse St
Port Melbourne, VIC 3207
www.omahs.com
Ph: 9676 9918


I first heard about Omah's Malaysian when Celeste and Kim organised a crab dinner there. You don't need to say much more than mud crab and I'm there. I absolutely adore mud crabs. It must be one of the my favourite foods in the world. As it's quite expensive to eat it at restaurants, I usually try to prepare it at home, but it is quite a bit of work. When I found out that Omah's mud crabs are $39.90 regardless of market price, I was sold.

The Port Melbourne restaurant is decorated very nicely, with a hawker style look. The chairs and tables are solid and simple. The lighting in the room is a bit dark for my liking still but otherwise it's a good dining space. The raised part of the room is a bit strange as you feel a bit separated from the rest of the room and almost watched.

I have since been back four times and loved it each time. On the third occasion, I went back with fellow food bloggers I-Hua, Agnes, Allan and Bryan. We thought that 9 crabs between the 10 of us was enough, but we were seriously wrong. We still craved much more crab by the end, so let that be a warning to you. You need to pre-book the crabs when you book a table. I suggest booking more than what you think you will eat. I'll guarantee that they're so delicious you'll find yourself scoffing down more than you normally would.


Having been back so many times, I can tell you that the must order item is the Salted Egg Crab. That is by far my favourite and the salted egg is so fine and tasty. It's not grainy in the mouth like some other salted egg. It is finger lickin' good, seriously. We all could not stop licking the shell and picking up all the salted egg bits.


The Chilli Crab is ok, but not too much to my liking. It has been made hotter upon feedback from us food bloggers and hence better, but it's not my favourite due to the slight sweet flavour.


The Five Spice Crab is a middle of the road crab. It's tasty but without the oomph of the other crabs. My close second favourite crab (not pictured) is the Lemongrass Crab. It too is sensational and finger lickin' good, like a great XO sauce. The Black Pepper Crab is my third favourite, again with a good kick due to the black pepper. I've tried some other dishes like the Mee Goreng and Omah's Duck and they're good too, but I can't go past the ultra delicious crabs.


The service is good, with the wait staff being attentive. I also like that they change over the plates and cutler after you eat a few crabs so you can start off with a clean slate. I would definitely recommend you go to Omah's and try out the crab, especially the Salted Egg and Lemongrass.

Overall Rating: 16/20, Ultra delicious mud crabs at a good price.

Scores: 1-9: Unacceptable, don't bother. 10-11: Just OK,some shortcomings. 12: Fair. 13: Getting there. 14: Recommended. 15: Good. 16: Really good. 17: Truly excellent. 18: An outstanding experience. 19-20:Approaching perfection, Victoria's best.




Omah's Malaysian on Urbanspoon

8 comments:

  1. Crabby goodness! I am a bit of a crab novice, but every time I have had them I've loved them. Thanks for the tips!
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yuuumm! :) I think an Omah's in Hawthorn just opened recently (or has been there but I haven't noticed....) so I might check that one out soon and we can compare notes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh! How did you make the pictures look so bright in the end? The dinnertime lighting was sooo dark, lol.

    totally gree about the salted crabs being the yummiest. I wonder if they serve mud crabs all year, even when it's off-season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley, yep there is now an Omah's in Hawthorn. Go check it out and let me know what you think.

    Bryan, photo brightness is a combination of high ISO, low F stop lens and quite a bit of Lightroom tweaking.

    I'm not sure what happens during off-season. I wonder if the crabs from different regions have different seasons or there's just no crabs to eat during off-season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo you guys went crab crazy! I'll have to bring my mum there cos she loves crabs :) Might try out the Hawthorn Omah's since it's closer to me and I've heard good things too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a LOT of crabs! I used to love crabs..until I got sick from eating them in Japan :( I still like them, just not as much. These crab dishes looked good though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Akika, you must have eaten a lot of crab while in Japan to get sick of them. What types of crabs do they have in Japan? I think it's usually those Alaskan King Crab and Snow crab isn't it? I think our mud crabs are tastier so give these ones a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    Nice blog i like it thanks for this all information

    ReplyDelete