Skyscraper

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Horiki - Part 2

I had recently gone to Horoki and liked it so much that I decided to go back and try again to see if it was really as good as my first impressions.

Here's mum and I in the restaurant. Do we look alike? Most people say I look more like my mum than my dad, but I don't really see the resemblance.


For entrees, this time we tried the Korean style pancake. It was quite good, comparable to the one at Oriental Spoon, a good Korean restaurant. This one has a lighter flavour than the one at Oriental Spoon, and went well with the soy sauce with sesame seed.


Again, like last time, I wanted to try the Daikon Salad with Sashimi. Again, like last time, it was totally unbelievable. It seems so simple, but the mixture of daikon, sashimi, crunchy noodles, crab roe, green salad and this tangy sauce was perfection. So simple but yet done so well. Again, this was my favourite dish of the night.


The Beef Tartar was also another favourite again, running a very close second to the Daikon Salad. I don't know what part the quail egg, but this Beef Tartar just tasted so different and wonderful. I must try a raw quail egg just by itself next time to see what flavour it imparted on the whole dish.


The Crispy Soft Shell Crab with Sourcream Mayo was not as nice this time as last. It was still good, but was oilier this time. Also I guess its dependent on the crab the most, and the crab this time didn't have any of that wonderful roe cream that made last time's taste so good.


The Crispy Chicken Yuzu was a surprise packet. I didn't expect it to be any good and just your average fried chicken. It looked kind of plain, but turned out to be another one of the night's best dishes. Yuzu is apparently a citrus fruit, and it gave the dish this nice tang. The chicken was fried in a very light batter and then served with a simple sauce of wasabi and mayonnaise. It sat on a bed of daikon and salad. Again, simple yet the flavours all seemed to work wonderfully.


The Horoki Style Braised Hamburg Steak was a beef patty barbequed and served with vegetables, mash potatoes and a tomato sauce. It was ok, but probably not something I would order again at Horoki, considering how much more I liked some of the other dishes.


The Horoki Special Fried Rice again finshed the meal off. After much careful taste testing, I've concluded that the special fried rice has a sweet soy base, with a hint of pepper, some chilli and the ingredient of difference, roast duck. That's my guess anyway, there's probably quite a few other ingredients. Whatever is in it, it tastes great and definitely worth another try.


The night finished off with the dessert of almond pannacotta. The servings are small, but the two mouthful is enough to leave you with a nice feeling inside, both physically and psychologically give the dessert is free.


Overall Rating: 16/20, I'm again giving Horoki a great score of 16. The repeat tasting was equally fascinating with some new dishes again intriguing me. The mixture of flavours here is so strange but usually works so well. The service was again good and I always love the cosy atmosphere in there.

Scores: 1-9: Unacceptable, don't bother. 10-11: Just OK,some shortcomings. 12: Fair. 13: Getting there. 14: Recommended. 15: Good. 16: Really good. 17: Truly excellent. 18: An outstanding experience. 19-20: Approaching perfection, Victoria's best.

3 comments:

  1. You are really a fantastic food reviewer, Thanh!

    Wow! Who would be your lucky life partner? But she must also watch her waistline, the way she has opportunities to sample every great dish available on earth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Choo, but your too kind. Hope you keep enjoying the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Mr.Do,

    Surely you've seen that ad where that little girl measured her daddy's waist line and got all worried.

    Your life partner would be set to inherit your deed to Vision Systems in no time.

    ReplyDelete