Skyscraper

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Thaila Thai - Part 2

The last time I went to Thaila Thai, it was a beautiful summer evening and I sat on one of the outside tables having dinner with my good friend. This time, different friend, but same scenario.

We watched the traffic, both people and automobiles, go past Lygon street, the East Brunswick end. There is a real buzz at Thaila Thai as it is always so full, full of unpretentious people enjoying the surroundings, the company of their good friends, and simple, cheap, tasty food.



My friend and I enjoyed a good wine we bought at the bottle shop down the road while we pondered about all things. We had started our dinner quite late (about 9pm) and noticed that by the time we finished eating, we were one of a few remaining tables left. We were so engrossed in our conversation that we totally lost track of time and only when the wine finished did we notice we were the LAST table left. And I could clearly see the waiters waiting to clear up. Not wanting to hold them up any longer (I've been a waiter before and you just want to pack up and go home after a long night), we paid the bill and apologised for holding them up. The two waiters were really nice about it and we all had a joke about it.

Usually, during most meals, food is one of the main focus. This time, food was just a secondary focus. I was having a meal with a friend who I rarely dine with, so we were more concerned with our conversation than the food. We did stop to say, "mmmmm, this is nice" quite a few times though.

We enjoyed the mixed satay sticks like last time. The beef ones were still a bit chewy so I will remember to get just the tender chicken ones next time. The fried rice still had the nice "wok" flavour. The hoi sin beef had the same "wok" flavour and was delicious. The green curry was fiery hot, unlike most places more tame green curry. I liked it hot and between drinks of ice water, was saying how good it was.


The atmosphere was very good as I mentioned early. It is noisy, so don't go here expecting soft banter. The service is good but you really have to catch the waiters attention by waving at them. I have given them the same score as last time as nothing has really changed. Again, I had an extremely relaxed meal with a good friend.

Overall Rating: 12/20, Food is good and cheap. Come here for a relaxed, easy meal with friends.

Scores: 1-9: Unacceptable, don't bother. 10-11: Just OK,some shortcomings. 12: Fair. 13: Getting there. 14: Recommended. 15: Good. 16: Really good. 17: Truly excellent. 18: An outstanding experience. 19-20: Approaching perfection, Victoria's best.

Thaila Thai on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment